Dr. Vinod Gautam
In this condition pain goes down the leg & sometimes associated with tingling, numbness.
- Medicine , Physiotherapy, Rest can be suggested for 6-8 weeks.
- If no benefit then following minimal Invasive Interventions are of choice. Any Intervention which will work best,can be decided after seeing patient & MRI together only.
A. Transforaminal Neuroplasty :
In patient having slight disc prolapse this procedure is carried out in Operation Theatre with help of Live X-ray machine & after anaesthetizing skin only. Special Needle & medication is placed along the painful nerve or disc to reduce swelling & inflammation around nerve. It is day care procedure & can be done at any age.
B. Caudal Neuroplasty :
In patients having bilateral leg pain , tingling , numbness on walking / standing due to multi level disc prolapse, this procedure is performed. Here the tuohy needle is placed in Caudal Epidural space & the drug is delivered in continuous visualization of live X-ray machine. These reduces swelling , adhesion around nerves
C. Ozone Nucelolysis :
In patients having disc herniation( extruded ) special needle is placed inside the affected disc. Ozone gas is prepared from Germany based ozone generator & inserted through needle inside the disc. Ozone causes shrinkage of disc & reduces inflammation around nerve. This again does not require prolonged hospitalization & done without any incision or surgery
D. Endoscopic Discectomy :
In patients with one sided disc herniation small needle is placed inside the disc & with the help of needle, Endoscope is placed inside the affected disc . Seeing through endoscope bulged portion of disc is removed , this way the disc gets back the normal position. This is a key hole & advance procedure. Patients can go home on same day or next day.
Advantage of Endoscopic Discectomy over Conventional Spine Surgery
- Short Hospital stay
- No blood loss with use of RF Generator
- Rapid Recovery & early mobilization
- No stitches
- No Anaesthesia related risk as it is done under local anaesthesia
- Less post operative pain
- Less risky & expansive then spine surgery as patient is fully conscious here
- Walking, standing increases pain & relieved with rest
- Associated with Tingling ( ant crawling sensation ),numbness in legs
- Pain going from back to leg
- Sensation loss along foot / leg
- Upstairs, Downstairs increases Pain
- Current like pain along leg & thigh
- Forward Bending , Weight Lifting
- Trauma , Infection
- Degenerative spine disease
- Disc Prolpase or Disc Herniation